Friday, September 18, 2009

"burning mass of nerves, a woman."

Dear you,

So, there's this essay in Yes mean Yes! called Sex Worth Fighting For by Anastasia Higginbotham...which is all about this feminist self-defense course called IMPACT. I was insanely inspired by this piece and now, I'm thinking about doing this for my WGS intro class as an activism project. I wish someone would of given me an option to take a self-defense course in high school or middle school - or rather just an idea of what consent was, and saying yes was. And even more far-fetched, is having the option of a Women's & Gender course in high school / middle school.

a quote from the essay,

"We can learn to fight for sex on our terms. Literally. With strong words, conviction, and certainty, with hands, elbows, knees, feet, and a "NO" so mean it chills the blood. I'm talking about a self-defense strategy that is imprinted on our cells and that affects every seemingly insignificant aspect of how we live, whom we love, and what we cherish..." (Friedman & Valenti, P.248-249)

What I love about this book is that it differentiates between what "No" & "Yes" means in sexual situations.

love,

me.

No comments:

Post a Comment